Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Kittens with URI?

I have a litter of 3 kittens and they clearly have a URI I took one to the vet was put on Clavamox and not much is happening.I am pretty knowledged when it comes to cats I have seen many URI's before but it's much harder when the kittens are only 10 days old!They are NOT nursing I am bottle feeding with karo syrup,one egg yolk,carnation evaporated milk and walk mixed in a container and small amount put in a bottle after warmed up.One kitten is actually eating it well she seems to like it.The one little girl is so tiny she is very weak I believe she will move and walk around and she seems kinda strong at times but after I feed her she just goes back to sleep.I know kittens sleep alot!I wash their little eyes with a warm cloth and nose to help break up some of the congestion so they can breathe better it helps.I know about the milk from the mother its the best because of the antibodies.I read that the Clavamox will only help with the secondary infection which are the mean symtoms.

Kittens with URI?
Get a human vitamin called Lysine. Crush it up into powder and put it into their food. It has worked wonders for my adult cats. I don't see why it wouldn't work for the little ones, but you may want to start with just a little, little bit at first. It's only a vitamin so I'm sure it won't hurt them but it's best to start small and be safe. You may need to get a pill pulverizer which can be found at pretty much any pharmacy or Wal-Mart type of store. They are not expensive. You might even call a vet to ask for the exact proper dosage of the Lysine. They make a Lysine based med for cats, but a vet once told me that it's really the same exact vitamins used for humans and it would be cheaper to buy it and crush it.

If you are worried about the dosage or can't get info from a vet then I would say an actual pinch between your thumb and forefinger should be a good amount.


No comments:

Post a Comment