Monday, January 9, 2012

How long do Carnations last in water?

I have a State Swim meet this Sunday and I want to get my friends a single carnation. I would buy it today-(Friday) and I want to take it to them on Sunday. Would it last that long???

How long do Carnations last in water?
yeah, probably. What I suggest doing though is filling up a glass of water and with the end of the stem still IN the water, cut about 1 inch off the end of the stem! Often flowers die prematurely because an air bubble gets trapped at the end of the stem and so the water can't move up into the stem easily!!! So, remember that once you snip off the end of the stem, don't lift the flower stem out of the water otherwise it'll get the air bubble, so do the cutting in a vase/glass that you plan on keeping the flower in! Your flower will for sure survive Friday to Sunday! (You can also mix in about 1/2 a teaspoon of sugar into the water before placing the flower in there - that helps too!). I do this whenever I get a bouquet of flowers and I have had them last for up to a MONTH!!!!
Reply:They're my birth flower and I've kept live bouquets for more than a week. You should be fine until Sunday as long as you keep them in water.



Good Luck at the meet.



The Muse

slippers

No comments:

Post a Comment